fbpx

UPDATE: Moisture content – Gary’s findings, lots of info

Home Forums Wood preparation UPDATE: Moisture content – Gary’s findings, lots of info

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Marty LeenhoutsMarty Leenhouts
    Keymaster

Hi Marty,

Finally starting to warm up down here in TX. Hope things are well up your way. Get a cup of tea…

First, an update on my humidity box. I had an unfortunate incident occur with my first experiment that made me rethink the design a bit. As you may remember I used a dish rack and drainer in the box to keep everything up and out of the small amount of water I put in the very bottom. I kept the box under my workbench on a shelf. When I needed a piece of wood I would either open the lid an grab it if it was easily accessible or take the box off the shelf so I could dig to find what I wanted. Unbeknownst to me I was occasionally splashing a bit of water up onto the drain board. Oops! a few of the practice boards had a corner resting on the drain board. Apparently basswood is like a sponge. But, the water they sucked up started a regular mold farm in the moist environment. What a mess! Fortunately, I was able to clean everything up and it looks like most will be usable if I am clever. Suffice to say that I used a lot of hydrogen peroxide trying to get rid of some deep mildew stains.

I really like how the wood carves when it comes out of the box so I needed to come up with something that would put humidity into the box without actually having water in it. Just so happens that I have an ultrasonic humidifier that I have never used down here. With a little “Macguyver-ing” I hooked up a flexible hose from the output of the humidifier to a hole I cut into the side of the box. But, I didn’t want to run it all the time so I powered the humidifier with a smart outlet and created a routine in Alexa that runs it 15 minutes a day. That seems to be working well since the hygrometer reads in the mid 70’s and the wood is all running about 12%. There may be a simpler solution, but I had the stuff so why not use it?

Paul1780Paul1780
    Participant

Great info on moisture content. Moisture is important I now get it. I will be paying more attention to this and prepping my wood before I get cutting on it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.