Post Type Selectors
product
carving_patterns
Search in posts
aiovg_videos
Search in pages

New to Chip Carving

Home Forums Introduce yourself! New to Chip Carving

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Wayne Cook
    Participant

Hi, I am  Wayne a 73 year old retired person wanting to learn carving. I have always wanted to be able to create something. I think I want to do some chip carving because 1.) I think this old dog can learn this. 2.) Mr. Marty made this offer I could not pass up. I will keep you updated on my progress. I just made my first really good move in my quest to learn by becoming a member.

Wayne C.

William McHugh
    Participant

Wayne, welcome to chip-carving. I identified immediately with your introduction comments – they echoed my own thoughts , when I began two years ago, at age 75, by searching for a woodcarving group at the senior citizens centers in my town.

I lucked out by picking one which was headed by carver who had started his woodcarving journey with chip-carving. He got me started on the right track. However, I soon needed more help/instruction than I could ask from him – he was now doing carvings in the round and I needed to see someone actually chip-carving to learn more. That is when I stumbled onto Marty’s website and his many instructional videos. They proved to be exactly what I needed to grow.

By the way, you may find, as I did, that joining a carving club is an excellent way to learn, make friends with people with similar interests, and get some needed encouragement and support. My senior citezens’ group meets once a week for several hours of carving. Many of those members are also in the local woodcarving club, the Rio Grande Woodcarvers, which I just joined yesterday. So, good luck on your own journey.

Neil McGuire
    Participant

Hi fellow 73 year young!

I started carving about 5 years ago, joined a carving club 3 years ago, and have been chip carving for 2 ½ years. Thoroughly enjoying the experience.

Frederick
    Participant

Hi Wayne. I’m new too. So far, I’m half way through the fundamentals class and find it very good.

Look forward to sharing experiences with you!

Fred

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.