Post Type Selectors
product
carving_patterns
Search in posts
aiovg_videos
Search in pages

My introduction

Home Forums Introduce yourself! My introduction

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    svensk_jim
    Participant

I retired about 8 years ago, I was not planning on it but a financial incentive came up and all at once I was retired! I am captivated by the idea of making something.  My problem is I am easily captivated. so my interests seem to exceed the hours that I have available.  I first had chip carving explained to me three years ago, I tried it some, but did not pursue it.  This happened two more times when I took a carving class.  These classes have generally been focused on Scandinavian folk art, wood craft, or sloyd.  I studied modern art and architecture.  I never expected to be studying chip carving, or any other folk art.

I have been looking for a “lazy susan” for a couple of months.

A question about basswood.  I was told by a local carver that I should only use basswood from WI and MN, not to use southern basswood. Any truth to that?

And the same carver is always spraying a fine mist of water on the the surface of his figure carving.  I have heard some mix water and alcohol.  Any value in that?

So, I will try to keep an eye on this community, but will have more questions than contributions.

jim

Serge Parent
    Participant

Hi Good news that you have retired. Lots of time to carve coming up.

I found a “lazy susan” at kitchen store. Usually around 10-15$. Check if it turn easily when you buy it.

Re basswood.  Yes the northern basswood is easier to carve du to it grows.

Re spraying. Yes this is a good solution, half water and half alcohol,  when you feel your wood is very dry.

Keep carving makes you a better carver.

Serge P.

Frederick
    Participant

Jim, I’m just a couple months into this. But today I made a lazy susan from some things I had laying around and it is a really nice addition to my toolset. I just checked Amazon and they have several lazy susans, some of them under $10.

I understood the same as Serge – northern basswood is best. I understand from other posts on this community that “northern” is what Mary sells. FYI, I compared his price against what I got from Woodcraft (I have a bandsaw and cut my own blanks) and I think Mary is priced fairly. I’m also intrigued by his EZCarve and may order some.

Fred

Dennis Wilson
    Participant

One thing I do to soften basswood for chip carving is to put my project inside a plastic container, put a bowl of steaming hot water in with it, and then close the lid. Leave it for a couple hours or even overnight and then carve it. The wood softens nicely. To measure the amount of moisture content, buy a moisture meter at a hardware store. A reading of 11 or 12 is ideal. Best of luck with your carving!

Marty Leenhouts
    Keymaster

Good tip, Dennis. I’d also suggest when placing the wood in the container to set it on edge rather than flat. This will minimize any warping and even out the moisture content in the wood.

svensk_jim
    Participant

Thanks for all of the good information. Concerning the hot water in a bag, I have some little pyramids that came from the paint section of the hardware store. I wonder about laying the board across those to get moisture on both major sides of the board?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.