fbpx

Ergonomics in Chip Carving

Home Forums Chip carving technique Ergonomics in Chip Carving

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Julie PrattJulie Pratt
    Participant

I started this topic because I think that it’s important to learn how to properly position ourselves, arms, wrists as we learn how to carve.  I just started the essentials course and can all ready see that I need to work on this.  I will add what I learn as I go.  I am interested in what everyone else has discovered and found helpful as well.

Marty LeenhoutsMarty Leenhouts
    Keymaster

Hi Julie

This is very important, body position and how you line up your forearm. I know you’ll get it and will look forward to what others might share in reply to your post.

Mike QuistMike Quist
    Participant

Hi Julie,

I recently shared some of my experiences with Marty and figured you might find it useful.  I started carving a long time ago and always carved in my lap.  Fast forward many years and I now mostly carve on a table (kitchen table or a tall carving bench I made for my shop).  One reason is that I had to have a couple of vertebrae fused in my neck (rugby/wrestling/weightlifting) about 10 years ago and found that carving in my lap was a bit tough for extended periods of time.  I still carved in my lap until I started carving some bigger pieces…a table worked much, much better for these pieces.  More recently, my eyes have decided to be a pain so having the workpiece up close has been a benefit.  I think I can get away with less than ideal form because I don’t have issues with strength (definitely have more power on your lap as you can put your shoulder and upper body into the cut) and because I already have a lot of carving experience.  I honestly do not feel that the quality of my carving has declined as a result of carving on a table/bench surface.  Once I get my eyes sorted out, it will be interesting to see whether or not I go back to my lap.  In the grand scheme of things, chip carving is really nothing more than making a few cuts and popping out a piece of wood…so, I’d try a couple of different techniques and do what works best for you.

Hope this is useful,

Mike

Julie PrattJulie Pratt
    Participant

I have been slowly working on the first course trying to develop good technique. I have been trying to be mindful to keep my arm, elbow and wrist in as neutral position as possible.  I noticed that in the beginning I was trying to work the blade as if I were drawing on the line.  I am using a lazy Susan turn table now and moving it to follow the lines while concentrating on keeping my wrist in a neutral position and engaging the blade in one direction.  I observed Marty doing this. It looks like he is just moving his thumb and blade down as he goes.
    I still am experimenting with the best place and position to put myself and my work.  I am also trying to rid myself of the death grip that I seem to have when holding the knife.

Happy Carving all!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.