Post Type Selectors
product
carving_patterns
Search in posts
aiovg_videos
Search in pages

Carving Easter Eggs

Home Forums Pattern ideas & questions Carving Easter Eggs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brandon Coan
    Participant

I’m at a loss.  I want to do some easter eggs, but I want rosette-based patterns or “flame” patterns.  I can’t for the life of me figure out how to do that type of pattern on an egg and get things right to carve.  I like Marty’s egg videos, but boy I wish he had one that went through pattern layout for something like this.

Does anyone have any help/pointers???

Thanks!

Brandon

Marty Leenhouts
    Keymaster

Hello Brandon,
    Laying out patterns on eggs is a challenge as you’re finding out. If you haven’t watched it already, check out
    the video where I show you how to make a layout rotating gizmo from a small cardboard box. It really helps laying out lines in both directions to get a consistent grid for your pattern. Go to Videos/ and Search “egg”

Marty

Brandon Coan
    Participant

Thanks, Marty.  That video was what I used to get started.  Doing my grids worked out well using your method (THANKS!!!).  My problem is getting circles/rosettes onto the eggs.

Marty Leenhouts
    Keymaster

Try using a circle template. The ones I have are thin and flexible so they curl nicely around round objects. The circle will be a little distorted but it won’t be noticeable when the carving is done. Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.