Back to home page
Certified Chip Carving Instructor Program
The Certified Chip Carving Instructor Program (CCCI) will provide you with necessary teaching tools to teach others how to chip carve! Having the CCCI certification will give you the confidence and credibility to hold a class in your Community Education Program, the local Boy & Girl Scouts, 4H, Carving Roundups, church youth group, carving club and more. With this Certified Program you will gain the skills and confidence needed to provide quality instruction and generate supplemental income if you so desire. Also, your skills will improve a LOT when you start teaching others how to chip carve. It’s very true that the teacher often learns more than the student. CCCI will teach you how to teach and inspire others.
Dates and Times
CCCI is completely online providing you with 24/7/365 access to lessons and materials whenever and wherever you are located. Personalized face-to-face instruction may be available. 12 months are allowed to complete this program with extensions available upon request. International students are welcome and encouraged to participate.
Info and Qualifications
- Marty Leenhouts email@example.com 507-340-4264 (CST)
- Professionally trained teacher with over 30 years of classroom teaching experience
- Owner of My Chip Carving and author of Chip Carving Essentials, 2014, ISBN: 978-1-63315-269-4
- Has taught thousands to successfully chip carve
- Created hundreds of lessons and patterns that have been viewed over 2.5 million times
The CCCI Program will…
- give you the confidence and credibility to teach a chip carving class.
- help you develop your chip carving skills.
- show you how to develop a class lesson plan.
- provide you with useful and effective teaching methods.
- assess your lesson preparation and presentation. guide you in pattern development appropriate for a class setting.
- provide you with practical resources necessary for teaching.
- offer personal assessment and practical suggestions to improve your chip carving ability.
- provide you with resources, information and support during your teaching.
- Write and memorize your class introduction
- List class content in a lesson plan for a one-day class
- List class content in a lesson plan for a two-day class
- Learn how to teach proper chip carving technique and identify and correct common technique problems.
- Learn how to teach various chip carving patterns and identify and correct common technique problems. (3-corner, gothic leaf, straight lines, 4-sided, circles, free form and more)
- Be aware of frequently asked questions and know how to address and answer these questions.
- Explain proper order of cuts on various patterns
- Learn effective teaching methods to help you be a successful teacher.
- Describe and demonstrate the sharpening process using the Sharpening Kit
- Apply a pattern using the Pattern Transfer Tool and identify common problems experienced when using the Pattern Transfer Tool.
- Demonstrate how to prepare the surface of the wood prior to applying a finish
- Explain the Quick & Easy Finishing process
- Submit a completed lesson practice board for evaluation
- Complete one finished project and submit pictures for evaluation
- Develop one practice board/project pattern (optional)
- Write a business plan (optional)
Requirements and Benefits
Successfully complete all required lessons and assignments. Upon completion each student will receive a signed certificate verifying completion of the Certified Chip Carving Instructor Program along with an embroidered CCCI polo available only to CCCI graduates. CCCI graduates will also receive complimentary promotion of upcoming classes to help boost attendance.
Requirement(s) for Text and or Other Materials
- Platinum Membership
- Chip Carving Essentials by Marty Leenhouts, 2014
- My Chip Carving 3-Knife Set, Platinum or Gold
- Sharpening Kit
- Pattern Transfer Tool
- Minimum 2 – 3/8 x 5 x 12 basswood practice boards
- Minimum 2 – 1/2 x 5 x 12 EZboard practice boards
- One basswood or EZboard project of your choice
Internet access Laser printer or access to photocopy machine to produce toner-based patterns
There are fifteen lessons. Begin lesson 1